More Barnyard Animals!!!

Well, today started with moving the chicken coop.  I wish I could say that it went smoothly, but that is just not the case.  Dad and I STRUGGLED to get that thing out of my backyard.  Even with my truck, the coop just wouldn't budge.  My tires would spin out in the wet grass which then turned to mud.  It was a mess.

I was hoping that the frozen ground (had frost this morning) might help, but it was short-lived.

But we fought.  We used leverage, manpower, truck power, traction power, and everything else you could imagine.  I didn't get any pictures of the process, as it wasn't all that fun.  But we finally got it out.  WHAT A CHORE.

The drive out to the farm was fairly uneventful.  And I'm happy to say that I now have 12 chickens at the new farmstead!!!  They were eager to get out.  One of them actually threw up on the trailer when I opened up the door!!!  I'm not even joking!  A wild ride.
The coop at the new place.

But the coop is at its new home.  And the chickens are happy.  They explored the new property and did chicken things (drink water, scratch for bugs, eat grass).
The chickens exploring their new home!
Happy girls looking for food.
Then Dad and I went into the barn to check on the pigs.  I said hello to the 14 napping ones, and Dad said I should check on the other.

"I'm afraid of what I will see."

It's true.  I was bracing myself for a dead pig.  He was just so sick.

But I'm happy to report that he is still alive!!!  It doesn't look like he's moved at all, and his bread is still there.  The feed looks uneaten, as well, although his water dish is moved (and empty).  I can't figure that one out.  But he is alive.  He is still in very sorry shape, though.  This is now the third day without food.  Not good.

I had a very tight schedule to keep with meeting my realtor for pictures at 1:00 P.M. today, so I left soon thereafter.  I dropped the trailer back off, then headed home and arrived at 12:05.  I then hauled everything out of my house!  Boxes, boxes, boxes!!!  The picture guy showed up early, so I just kept on taking things from the inside to the garage!  My house looks clean and huge now!  I love it!

My house officially goes on the market on Friday.  This is important because the equity in this house is going to fund the massive remodel on the new house.  I don't fully know my sleeping situation in that interim yet, but it's exciting to think that I can start on the new house when this one sells.

It's going to be a wild ride this spring and summer!!!

I ate a late lunch around 2:30 and used that time to call vets in the area.  Unfortunately no one works on exotic (yes, that is what they call pigs!!!) animals in or around town.  It's so frustrating.  Not only was finding pig feed difficult, but now finding pig medicine is proving to be a chore.

I headed over to Farm and Home Supply and bought myself some penicillin and a syringe and needles.  The cost of pigs goes up, but when I took on the pigs, I took them on.  I can't just let a pig die.  Trust me, the thought crossed my mind (well, it's only a $15 loss...), but it's just unfair to the animal.

So I bought the medicine and started heading out to the farm.  On the drive, I received a phone call from a vet in a small neighboring town.  She said the vet would let me do an injection myself if I drove out.  The pig deserved it.  So I made a bit of a lengthy drive to pick up some antibiotics for my sick pig.

I'm pulling for you, little man!!!

It's called Excede, and it's supposed to be some pretty powerful stuff.  It is advertised as a one-shot dose that works for seven days killing pathogens.  I'm giving it a shot.  I picked Mom up on the way out to administer the shot, and we found the little guy just looking terrible.  I mean, he is not getting any better at all.

The food and water is untouched.  Mom brought milk in a bottle, and he had no strength or desire to drink even that.

So I straddled him to give him a shot, and this weak pig just went wild.  He was so afraid, and he used all of his strength just squealing and trying to run.  I mean, he worked himself up.  I was able to hold him and get the shot in, but he was a mess.  He had used ALL of his energy, and he couldn't even stand up.  He would try but fall over.  Then he would hobble on half legs.

It is SO hard to see an animal like this.  It cuts you to your heart!

He finally made it back to the side of the stall, and I covered him with a sweater that my grandpa used to wear.  Another cold night is ahead, and without other pig warmth, he needs all the help he can get.
The little guy after his shot of antibiotics.  I'm just not sure about him.  He is deathly ill.

C'mon, pig!!!  Don't give up!!!

I just hope the antibiotics work.

Comments

Popular Posts