All Green Lights!

Well, it's up to me now.

I have permission from my banker to bid.  (It would have been easier if he had said no).

I have permission from my architect to bid.  (It would have been easier if he had said no).

And now I have permission from the auctioneeer to bid.  (It would have been easier if he had said no).

I will be out of town during the auction, so I called this morning to see if he could wait until I returned for the check and papers.  The simple answer is...NOPE.  But arrangements have now been made to work around the whole "being 6000 miles away thing."

Long story short, I need to leave a blank check.  Of course.

Image result for sign life away

And I am just kicking myself for talking too much!  The auctioneer asked me point blank, "So what do you think it's going to go for"?

I instantly assumed he was fishing.  So I slightly hesitated but then offered a realistic (albeit wide) number.  "I wouldn't be surprised if it was between $140,000 and $240,000."  And after the words came out of my mouth, I instantly regretted them, so I followed up with, "It's just hard to say."

AGH!!!  I gave him a LOWER number!!!  You NEVER do that.  He can now bid it up to $140,000 easily knowing that I am fully expecting it to get there.  Knowing that I am calling for approval to bid WITH the full expectation that it will get there.

It was a dumb move by me, for sure.

I mean, I fully EXPECT it to get there, but it's still a dumb move anyway.  Never show your cards!!!

Of course, he then went on to tell me about a house he sold a few miles away that was in worse condition that ended up selling for $175,000.  He has a job to do, so I can't fault him.  But I think he was possibly expressing what the owners needed to get out of it (or wanted out of it).  The owner has the right to accept or reject the high bid, so we will see.

But now I am guaranteed that the house will sell above $140,000!!!

I'm an idiot!

(It's currently at $91,200 although these early numbers don't matter.  3 days and change to go!).

Comments

Popular Posts