An Aerial History in Photos

Technology can be such a useful tool sometimes!

Just browsing the internet, I can find amazing historical photos of this old farmstead!  And I will just let the pictures speak for themselves!

So for your viewing pleasure...

The house as seen in 1966.
 With just a simple photo, I am able to learn SO much!  I now know that the large 42 x 72 machine shed is at least 53 years old, as is the cattle run-in now used as a garage.  And there in the back, so is the barn.  I knew all structures were old, but now I better know how old!

The farmstead as viewed in 1971.
 As has almost always been the case with this farm, the farm just looks messy.  Equipment is seen scattered about in the pastures.  It's unknown if it's old equipment or working equipment.  But as I look at photos over the years, one theme is repeated:  messy.  One of my simple goals is to just clean up the property!  A popular phrase in our home is, "It just needs a shave and a haircut."  Well, unfortunately for me, the property as I acquired it needs much more than just a shave.  I plan to remove several of the buildings that have been added over the years (not the house, machine shed, or barn...breathe easy!).

Also, is that a wood-burning stove in the front pasture?  Or perhaps a tank to store oil for the oil furnace in the basement?
The farmstead in 1981 from the front.

The farmstead in 1981 from the rear.
I love these photos!  These 1981 photos capture the essence of the property and will likely provide the inspiration for how I want to get the farmstead looking again.  Open pastures and strong fence.  It's still a bit messy here, but I can see past the tractor and implements.  Just give me grass and fence.  I also think the farmstead looks the best with those trees along the drive!  Frankly, those trees are quite dirty-looking themselves, but I think a tree-lined drive would be stunning!  It provides shade for animals in the pasture and just a lovely view from both home and the road!  I wasn't really planning on doing it, but 50 trees along the drive...hmm!

I especially love the first photo with a nice, clean pasture on both the west AND east sides of the house and machine shed.  There is so much land there.  Why not use it to feed?!  Of course, six grain bins have also been added in this photo, but those were sold and removed already in last year's auction.

And for fun, just look at that MASSIVE garden to the west of the machine shed (north of the small grain bin next to the barn)!  Well-done, farmer!

The farmstead as viewed in 1988.
Again, the farmstead looks so much cleaner.  Of course, several of the implements are still visible in the pasture, but the pastures are clearly defined around the house.  Again, I think I like this idea of having a pasture on both sides of the house, east and west.  It means less land to mow, and more land for livestock!  The barn looks in great condition here.

The farmstead in 1993.
First off, the cameraman should consider a new job.  The ENTIRE roll of photos is this dark.  It's almost a waste.  If you wonder why, just check out the looooooooooooooong shadows from the trees.  These photos were likely taken right before sunset.  It's unfortunate, too, because this is such a good angle!  It doesn't appear that much has changed since 1988, but you can clearly see five cows along the drive.

All of the above photos were taken from an airplane.  But that is not all that is available!  I also found the various satellite map photos over the years, and those, too, provide a neat pictorial history.

The farm as seen in 1938-1940.  Notice the barn in the southeast portion of the property.  And just look at that tree-lined driveway!

The farmstead as seen in 1969.  As the above airplane photo verified, the barn and machine shed were built sometime between the 1940's and the 1960's.
The farmstead as seen in 1983.  Six grain bins have been added.

The farmstead as seen in 2003.

The farmstead as seen in 2007.  Two structures now exist directly east of the machine shed.

The farmstead as seen in 2011.

The farmstead as seen in 2015.
I love having these photos, because it provides such a history of the farmstead through the years.  It has certainly seen some work over the last century and a half.  I hope to give the farmstead a little bit of a breather but honor the reason why it was built:  to take care of a family and to provide for others.  The piggies will come.  The chickens are eager to explore.  And the cows may come.

But most of the farmstead is just going to be cleaned up.  Less is more in this instance.  I plan to keep the house, the machine shed, and the barn.  The rest certainly has a good reason to go.  The two run-ins will likely be used for just that...run-ins for animals.  I might have to de-construct and move them, though.

But what a neat pictorial history.

Comments

Popular Posts