Another Feeder?!

I was sitting at a coffee shop this evening and just happened to be browsing the "farm and garden" section of craigslist again (imagine that).  The post was simple:  hog feeder!
The post was simple!  12 hole with lid!
WHAT?!

Do you know how hard it is to find these things?!  I had JUST purchased one in great condition two days ago and did NOT need another.  So I chewed on it.

"You don't need it.  It could come in handy for rotational grazing on pastures.  You don't NEED it.  It opens up the opportunity for pig herd growth down the road if you take a liking to raising pigs.  You don't need it."

That was my mind having a conversation with itself.  To put the whole thing out of question, I called to inquire about the unlisted price.  Surely it would be $300-500 and make my decision quite easy.

$100!!!

AGHHHHH!!!  I just paid $225 for the same-size model (although different brand)!  Granted, this one had more surface rust, but the owner said it had absolutely no holes and just needed a couple of rivets re-riveted and two bolts re-attached to hold the top on.

I told him I would think about it.  The post had been up for 41 minutes, and he said two others had already called.  He even said he had a hard time finding these and drove 3 1/2 hours south to southern Missouri to pick this one up.

Hmmm.  I told him I would think about it.  I drove home, asking myself if I wanted to drive the hour or so to pick it up.  The price was right, but I didn't REALLY need it.  But the night was also young, I figured I could get the $100 (or $200) back out of it easily, AND it WOULD open up the possibility of rotating pigs on various pastures at the farmstead.

I did a quick online search, and it looks very similar to the Pride of the Farm models from years ago.

I called the gentleman back.  "Ok, so about those two fixes it needs.  You said it needs a strap with two rivets and two bolts on the top.  Is it currently functional?  And there are no holes, correct"?

"It's currently functional, and there are definitely no holes.  It's ready to go."

I'll be there in an hour."

"Ok, it's in my really muddy pasture."

"I'll bring muck boots."

And then I enjoyed the peaceful drive back out to the country again.  I took my time, enjoying driving the old truck, and enjoying the evening views of the country.  I pulled up to a long gravel lane and made my way back to a muddy pasture where a guy with a head-lamp was on.  I guess I found it.

The truck comes in handy once again!
We made quick work of rolling the feeder out of the pasture in the dark, then set it up and loaded it into the back of my truck.  Because the top wasn't secured, I tucked it into the side of the feeder and strapped it down.
My second feeder!
The second hog feeder!  (Picture taken the next day).
A quick transaction.  He told me he had 30 calls on the feeder in the time I drove down there (about two hours after his initial post).  I assumed he was exaggerating quite a bit, but I also know that these feeders are hard to find locally!
I attached the top lid to the side for the ride home.
The bottom is actually in better condition than my other one.  No rust here.
I haven't verified yet, but I am assuming this to be Pride of the Farm's logo.
This one sold for $391 online.  It looks very similar to my purchase.
Image result for pride of the farm logo
Likely what this unit used to look like when new.  Or at least similar.
This has pieces of metal that the pigs jiggle to drop more grain.  It also has a crank on top for me to turn to loosen up the feed.
He also told me he finds it more profitable to raise feeder pigs.  "People just love that whole idea of raising pigs on pasture.  I don't have to raise them.  I just sell them and get more per pound than I would growing them out."  ha!  What a funny business model.  Profits dictate action.

I changed out of my muddy boots and hopped back in the truck.  I enjoyed the even longer way home.  I took a different route and passed through those small towns you never get around to passing through much.  Our America is so full of these towns.  It's where my Dad grew up.  It's where I grew up.  And it's certainly a different way of life.

Once back at home, I left the feeder in the back of my truck.  No one would be taking this!

UPDATE:  Ok, so once daylight hit the next day, I was both happy and frustrated at the same time.  The seller mentioned TWICE that the unit had absolutely no holes.  NONE.  Well, that is a blatant lie.  He sold me a feeder with a rusted-out side where the hopper meets the sloped part.  It's not that I wouldn't have paid the $100 (I may or may not have).  It's the fact that he thought he had to lie to me to sell it.  It was blatant and intentional.  It boils my skin.

Being in the dark last night, I couldn't verify his statements.  I simply took him at his word (shame on me).  It's just maddening.
The inside of the feeder.  You can see the tin is "crumpled" in one section.  It has created a crack there, and it's rusted out at the seam.
A close-up view.  It's hard to tell, but there is a hole in the top middle along the seam.  It's a few inches thick and open to the outside.  I will form metal over the top of it and strengthen it up.  Probably more time-consuming than money-consuming.
A better view of the hole.  It's not like it's even a small hole, either!  Again, it's beyond frustrating to be lied to by another man, but I'm the fool for trusting another man.  I think I can fix it with a piece of sheet metal, but c'mon.
I still think I have a great deal at $100.  And I think I can repair the portion that is rusted out.  But c'mon.  Selling your integrity for a Benjamin?  Not worth it.  Not at all.

Comments

Popular Posts