The Piggies Have a Feeder!!!

Today couldn't have gone more smooth.  It nearly NEVER happens like this.

Last week I contacted a guy on craigslist about his large automatic pig feeder.  He was about 110 miles away, but I was having no luck finding a large feeder local.  The feeder is a Pax brand and looks to be in decent shape.  He was asking $300, but after contacting him, he let me know that he is eager to get it sold and the land cleaned up for spring.  He even offered to drive it up to St. Louis for me to knock a half-hour off my driving time of two hours.  Amazing.  He REALLY wants to get rid of it.

With that text from him, I waited.  No urgency.  A day and a half later, I responded.

"Would you take $200"?

"Would you do $250"? he responded.

"Let's split the difference.  How about $225"? I came back.

"Fair."

And the deal was done.  Just like that.  So I basically had a "gentleman's handshake" over a text message!  Of course, I had asked for a better picture than the solitary one posted on craigslist, and he quickly gave me four more the same day.  He REALLY wanted to sell this thing!

The shape looked respectable, and I was eager to have this huge checklist item off my Piggy To-Do List.  Food.  Water.  Fence.  Let's knock one off the list!

I had a meeting in St. Louis today, and Dad offered to drive down with me.  I went to my meeting, and he went to meet this guy in a Home Depot parking lot!  Everyone was on time, and the guy even loaded it for my dad.  It was a quick, simple, and seamless transaction, and all parties were happy!

Dad came back to my meeting and only had to wait about 10-15 minutes until I was done.  I walked outside and checked out the MASSIVE feeder in my truck!  It was in much better shape than I anticipated!  And it was much larger than I anticipated!  It was perfect!!!

The massive pig feeder in the back of my truck!  I love it!
Dad had it strapped down perfectly, and it made the ride back home with ease.  Of course, because everything went so smooth, and we had time to kill, I took the long, country way back.  Instead of doing the interstate for 90 miles, we took several different roads and both enjoyed the scenery.
Pa happy in the cab!  A great purchase!
Old farms.  Old barns.  Wide-open country.

While everyone else is calling it "years gone by," I am hoping to replicate those enjoyable memories that so many had.

The feeder back at home.  It's 110-mile journey is complete!
I will store it in Dad's garage for a week and a half until I close on the property!  But if all goes well, I will have pig heads buried in there in less than two weeks!
This feeder is huge!

Quite a perfect day.  Oh, and if you're wondering if I had a good deal, here is what a similar feeder costs today...
You can buy a similar brand-new feeder today for $1200 more.  Wow!!!
I am quite happy with today's purchase.  But it's really the first REAL dollar amount that I've spent on these piggies!  I guess now I am committed!!!

Comments

Popular Posts