The Pigs (Almost) Have a Ride!!!

I headed over to Dad's house to work on a couple of projects today.  First we replaced the thermostat in my truck.  I hope to drive it 200 miles tomorrow for the big purchase, and I REALLY need it to shift properly!

My temperature gauge would not get above 140 degrees, causing my truck to not shift properly!
Well, a quick and fairly simple (I love working on old trucks with all of that room) 20 minutes later, we were set to test out the new thermostat.  SUCCESS!!!  My temperature gauge approached 200 degrees, and the truck shifted beautifully into over-drive once it passed 150 degrees.  WOO HOO!!!

I can now continue with tomorrow's big purchase!!!

But back to today first.

Dad and I worked together to build stock racks for the pigs.  I will be picking up feeder pigs in a week or two after I close on the house, and I need a safe way to haul them.  So I figured I might as well make livestock racks with the wood I picked up yesterday.

The beauty is that with the wood I picked up, two of the sides were mostly done already!  It just came down to creativity and execution.  And a lot of time.  The project took way longer than I expected!

For whatever reason, Chevrolet made the stake holes in the bed of the truck super small.  So you can't fit a 2 x 4 in there, and you can't fit a 2 x 2 in there, either!  You have to trim it down in both length AND width!  It was super annoying!  No one really uses these stake holes anyway, but what an awesome tool for a myriad of uses!  Of course, we wanted to make livestock racks, but the possibilities are nearly endless!  If they were user-friendly...which they were not.

So Dad and I worked on the racks for the majority of the day.  I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

I literally have the cost of one new sawz-all blade in the project...about $2.  The wood was free.  I had the screws.  It just came down to time and effort.

But look at what we have after today!!!
The sides are done!
The sides are done, and the front window is protected.


Three out of the four sides complete!


I am very pleased with how it turned out.
The pigs almost have a way of getting to their new home!!!  We just need to build the back rack.

And after tomorrow's purchase, we are well on our way to being ready to bring home the bacon!!!

Comments

Popular Posts